iOS App Inbound Caller No Audio

desiredeabn

So I was able to get a PCAP of a call that had the issue. It is random, a person can call in once and no audio then call in 2 minutes later and it works fine. However we did notice that it isn't only calls from the sip trunk, it also happens on calls that originate from calls within the system.

18 hours ago, desiredeabn said:

it also happens on calls that originate from calls within the system

I'm not sure if that's app related as i don't use it, but normally if you have audio issues internally (extension to extension), then the likely culprit is something on the network. Either a firewall, or bad WiFi device dropping packets...etc

You can try to register two softphones on a desktop, or try to use the web client of the PBX and see if you can re-create the error in different environments. One inside the office where you know it happens, one from a home office with different networking equipment.

But if this ONLY happens on the iOS app then that would be harder to troubleshoot.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to follow up with everyone, I *think* we have resolved the issue. I originally had restricted calls to the OPUS code for the iPhone users but this would cause issues with some other calls with no audio in either direction.

The fix (that worked for us so far) was to adjust the audio codec to this order of preference:

OPUS

G.711U

G.711A

So far over the last two weeks we have not had a single inbound call without audio for anyone running an iPhone, however this caused some issues for outbound audio for Android users so we have manually adjusted on the extension settings where needed so we ran the codecs for them in this order and that fixed the issue.

G.711U

G.711A

OPUS

We want to use OPUS for the mobile users because it just sounds better, especially when there is a lot of packet loss. But G711 is still the predominant reality in the world of SIP trunks. I. would say if it works, keep it on G711 but true happiness will require that we have OPUS on mobile devices. In any way, I would try to keep a PCAP for analysis reasons to see why there was one way audio.