Windows Like GUI front-end for pbxnsip

mattlandis

Hello,

My experience with pbxnsip has been that it is full featured and stable.

As a reseller the one complaint I get over and over from prospective IT administrators is:

it LOOKs very hard to learn.

I'm wondering if all the SOAP stuff would be in place to make a windows app that would put a glitzy/simple looking/windows like GUI on pbxnsip?

The reason I don't say change the current web gui to something more windows-like and simple looking is that I personally LIKE the current spartan web gui. But I'll admit when I first looked at pbxnsip (3yrs ago?) I thot precisely what all the people I talk to now think--it really looks hard to learn.

I'd like to hear some feedback on this idea.

tx

matt

Yea, it is amazing that web-based admin can scare professionals off. They prefer remote desktop when they can have HTTP.

Version 4 has a new web interface, designed by a web designer (not a C++ programmer :P ). Maybe that will help to present the buttons in a way that is easier to digest.

I agree with the Windows GUI interface particularly on long lists like the accounts. They should look more like a spread sheet that you can scroll. Context sensitive help where you push F1 on a screen to get an explanation of all the fields would be nicer too. The help link on the bottom isn't bad but it still takes a few clicks and some thinking to find the correct help page.

More quality checking on input fields is a must. It is too easy to enter bad values that won't work.

I agree with the Windows GUI interface particularly on long lists like the accounts. They should look more like a spread sheet that you can scroll. Context sensitive help where you push F1 on a screen to get an explanation of all the fields would be nicer too. The help link on the bottom isn't bad but it still takes a few clicks and some thinking to find the correct help page.

More quality checking on input fields is a must. It is too easy to enter bad values that won't work.

i agree that a help button right beside a field that makes a popup come up would be great.

(i've often wish for it myself! ;-)

tx

matt

• 4 months later...