Feature Request - Shared Mailbox

jlumby

I have a situation where I have 2 of the owners homes tied to the main office. The problem I am having is that he would like one mailbox for all of his messages that is accessable from all phones at both of his homes (plus at the office). The problem is they are a mix of phones, including several running off of analog ATA ports where the only indication is stutter dialtone. In order to accomplish this, with the mix of phone technology, I had originally thought of registering them all as the same extension, however this causes a problem transfering from one room of the house to another, as well as since there are 2 homes, I have to indicate different E911 locations, and I cannot do that if they are all the same extension. So now I am wondering if there is a way to point all of the voice mail boxes of the different extensions to one common mailbox, and that mailbox would activate the MWI on all of the different extension numbers?

I second this request!

Actually, I would like to see a hunt group level common voicemail option. For instance, if a call to a huntgroup is not answered after so many seconds, it would put the caller into the huntgroup voicemail box and anyone in that huntgroup could retrieve the message(s).

Ok if we break this down we can do the various components. Each phone registers with a different extension i.e. 101 102 103 etc.. We create a hunt group that rings all the phones and then the final destination goes to the "group mailbox" so there is only one mailbox. Then each outbound call can have its own trunk with the correct 911 and trunk ID. In the mailbox setting there is a setting to allow access for extensions so if 101 is the main account you can put in 102 103 etc to be able to access the mailbox. Now the snom phones can be setup to monitor other mailboxes with a button. There is an MWI field for that. In most decent business grade ATA's there is also a mailbox setting. If you put 101 in for the mailbox setting of extension 102 (the ATA) then it should subscribe for MWI events for 101. The trick maybe to have the same sip passwords for all of the extensions. Can you give that a shot?

Ok if we break this down we can do the various components. Each phone registers with a different extension i.e. 101 102 103 etc.. We create a hunt group that rings all the phones and then the final destination goes to the "group mailbox" so there is only one mailbox. Then each outbound call can have its own trunk with the correct 911 and trunk ID. In the mailbox setting there is a setting to allow access for extensions so if 101 is the main account you can put in 102 103 etc to be able to access the mailbox. Now the snom phones can be setup to monitor other mailboxes with a button. There is an MWI field for that. In most decent business grade ATA's there is also a mailbox setting. If you put 101 in for the mailbox setting of extension 102 (the ATA) then it should subscribe for MWI events for 101. The trick maybe to have the same sip passwords for all of the extensions. Can you give that a shot?

I was thinking of it quite similar, you can disable the mailbox on all these extensions, set a call forwarding no answer on all extensions to a dummy extension, the set dummy extensions mailbox to pickup immediately. set these extensions to monitor vm on this extension.

The real issue is that I am using 3 different manufacturers hardware, and all 3 of them do not support it. It is not as common of a feature as it is made out to be. The grandstream ATA will only subscribe to it's own extension. I have found the same thing with an Audiocodes ATA I had in stock, as well as the Cisco 7961 phones. I think that when 3 different manufacturers all cannot do it, then it is not a real viable solution

• 1 month later...
The real issue is that I am using 3 different manufacturers hardware, and all 3 of them do not support it. It is not as common of a feature as it is made out to be. The grandstream ATA will only subscribe to it's own extension. I have found the same thing with an Audiocodes ATA I had in stock, as well as the Cisco 7961 phones. I think that when 3 different manufacturers all cannot do it, then it is not a real viable solution

I believe in version 4 it is done.

AWESOME!

how will it work? i can assign for each extension which mailbox it will use? can i also add in a agent group or hunt group or IVR etc that it should redirect to a voice mail box and it will share the mailbox?

assigning a voice mail box to an Auto Attendant would also be nice, since most our clients have after playing night greeting IVR it should redirect to a VM, but maybe having it built into the PBX would be nice instead of using the 8plus extension number as the redirect number

how about domain admin should be able to see the Voice mails from each extension instead of having to log in as the extension, it will help when troubleshooting

how will it work? i can assign for each extension which mailbox it will use? can i also add in a agent group or hunt group or IVR etc that it should redirect to a voice mail box and it will share the mailbox?

assigning a voice mail box to an Auto Attendant would also be nice, since most our clients have after playing night greeting IVR it should redirect to a VM, but maybe having it built into the PBX would be nice instead of using the 8plus extension number as the redirect number

how about domain admin should be able to see the Voice mails from each extension instead of having to log in as the extension, it will help when troubleshooting

Well, there was already a setting that allowed "sharing" of the mailbox. Previously that was only about the access to the mailbox. Now that setting is used to copy a new message into the mailbox of the listed accounts. The key point here is that one of these persons is saving or deleting the message, that is copied to all other messages as well.

For hunt groups, you currently still need to have another extension mailbox handle the group messages. The step to incorporate the mailbox into the hunt group has not been done yet.