Two (Local) Parties on One Call

lerman

I'm building a system with two M9 base stations each with three phones on a Snom One system. I also have a Linksys SPA3102 for incoming calls only. The phones are distributed around the house and office and at any time, there is no way to tell who will be at each phone.

How can I:

1 -- I answer the phone and would like to have my wife on another (unknown) extension pick up the call?

On my present (key) system, I put the call on hold. Then do a general page: "Laura, pick up the call on line 1".

One way is to transfer the back to the hunt group. It will then ring again, and Laura can pick up the call.

Or, I can park the call, then do a page: "Laura, pick up the call parked on 50."

2 -- I answer the phone and would like to have my wife on another (unknown) extension JOIN the call?

I'm almost there with the system. Incoming (on the SPA3102) and outgoing (through flowroute) calls are both working.

Thanks for your help.

Ken

Well the m9 has a couple of advanced functions that might come to rescue here. When you are in a call, press the key below the display that shows "options", then you can hold the call; then make another (internal) consultation call, and then either conference the other party in or transfer the call. If your house is no ttoo big, you can also should and announce a blind transfer; or as well also just pass the handset (phisical transfer). The beauty of DECT, see http://snom-m9.blogspot.com/2011/12/simple-transfer-like-in-good-old-days.html.

Well the m9 has a couple of advanced functions that might come to rescue here. When you are in a call, press the key below the display that shows "options", then you can hold the call; then make another (internal) consultation call, and then either conference the other party in or transfer the call. If your house is no ttoo big, you can also should and announce a blind transfer; or as well also just pass the handset (phisical transfer). The beauty of DECT, see http://snom-m9.blogspot.com/2011/12/simple-transfer-like-in-good-old-days.html.

OK. So I tried doing this.

I called my number and answered it on ext47. Then I chose option "new call" and called ext72 which is a hunt group that calls all extensions. I picked up the call on ext40. Then on ext47, I chose option "bridge calls" and found that both phones could talk to the caller. Unfortunately, ext47 (the phone that did the original answer bridging) had its display go back to the idle (in-active) state and audio was just one way. That is, ext47 could talk, but it could not hear audio from either ext40 or the outside caller.

Ken

After the bridge call, x47 should be dropped out. Based on your explanation that is not happening. Could be a firmware issue on m9. We tested it on the latest version http://provisioning.snom.com/download/fw/m9-9.5.7-a.bin and it seems to work fine.

http://wiki.snom.com/Snom_m9/Documentation/Online_Manual/Maintenance#Firmware_Update

You can also use the "conference" option to have a 3 party conference, if you want all of you on the call. Not sure if you tried that.

I'm using 9.4.12. I'll upgrade when I get a chance.

I just tried conferencing. It worked as far as getting all of the parties on the call was concerned.

When I hung up the handset that first answered the incoming call, though, the call was terminated. That is not what I need.

How can I make the system act like a key telephone set? Ideally, a user could see the "lines" and just pick one up and share the call if there is someone already on it. Either of the two local parties could hang up and the call would continue with the remaining party.

It isn't necessary that the model be exactly the same, but the functionality is useful and necessary.

Regards,

Ken

If the party performed the "conference" hangs up the will hangup (because it is done locally on the phone). Other option is to make use of the PBX. Either park the call(*85) or push the call to a conference(*53)

Neither *53 or *85 is listed as a * code for SnomOne. In fact, "The codes 00 to 60 are reserved for speed dialing."

I tried transferring the call to a conference account "71" on my system. That disconnected my ext47 and gave the caller a message asking him to enter the access code. That clearly isn't what I want. (The caller gets the message even when the participant access code has been set to empty.)

Any other ideas?

Ken

Neither *53 or *85 is listed as a * code for SnomOne. In fact, "The codes 00 to 60 are reserved for speed dialing."

I tried transferring the call to a conference account "71" on my system. That disconnected my ext47 and gave the caller a message asking him to enter the access code. That clearly isn't what I want. (The caller gets the message even when the participant access code has been set to empty.)

Any other ideas?

Ken

Anyone?

Thanks,

Ken

Are you using "Ad-hoc-Conference" or Schedule conference room?

If you're using Ad hoc you should be able to remove the Moderator Access Code and the

Participant Access Code. Have you tried calling into the conference room to comfirm?

Thank you.

I had just removed the Participant Access Code. I should have realized that if I didn't remove both, it would still ask for one. I can now dial in to the conference from two phones and I can transfer an outside call to the conference. One problem is that when I transfer the outside party to the conference it announces, "Welcome to the conference..."

This seems like an awful lot of effort and intellectual overhead to do something that on a key system is as simple as touching a single button.

Ken

Agreed that process should be easier/simpler. We have an option "Do no play anything" for "Before entering the conference:" drop-down. Currently, that is not being handled properly. In the next version we will fix it so that when you push people to conference, they won't hear anything (silently add them to the conference).

BTW, http://wiki.snomone.com/index.php?title=Star_Codes list the star codes. If the star code for something is empty, you can set them based on this page. (Yes, 00-60 are reserved for speed dial, but you can use it for other purposes. That was more like a recommendation).