confused about ports

SOSAGES

good day all.

i have the demo of pbxnsip setup on a xp box behind a router on an ADSL line.

the xp box has the ip of 192.168.0.10

I have forward the ports (i assume i need to forward) and i have had users connect from outside the building using a multitude of hardware based phones as well as some sip based softphones they can connect and register and i can see them registered in the pbx status page and everything looks fine.

The only issue is when they then dial an extension, for example user 1 is extension 100 and he dials user 2 on extension 101 it will dial the extension and both users will hear it ring but when user 2 answers no voice data is transmitted between them.

Now obviously a PBX is designed to allow users to connect and talk from all over the world so im wondering am i doing something silly. What ports do i need to open to allow voice comms between 2 users?

Thanks in advance for any help

good day all.

i have the demo of pbxnsip setup on a xp box behind a router on an ADSL line.

the xp box has the ip of 192.168.0.10

I have forward the ports (i assume i need to forward) and i have had users connect from outside the building using a multitude of hardware based phones as well as some sip based softphones they can connect and register and i can see them registered in the pbx status page and everything looks fine.

The only issue is when they then dial an extension, for example user 1 is extension 100 and he dials user 2 on extension 101 it will dial the extension and both users will hear it ring but when user 2 answers no voice data is transmitted between them.

Now obviously a PBX is designed to allow users to connect and talk from all over the world so im wondering am i doing something silly. What ports do i need to open to allow voice comms between 2 users?

Thanks in advance for any help

Like everything else, there is a setting you need to look at here

Under Admin / Ports

RTP:*

Port Range Start: 49152

Port Range End: 64512

This establishes the RTP (Voice) port range to be used by PBXNSIP.

Also set the Preferred CODEC to at least 0 8 18.

Make sure that PBXNSIP is assigned as a Private Static IP Address to your router.

Set port forwarding to the Private PBXNSIP IP Address to the range of RTP and also 5060 to say 5100 for SIP signaling.

Also, check to see what Codecs the phones are using.

What type of phones are you using???

Hope this helps.

Bill H

• 2 weeks later...

hi and thanks for the help

i have done pretty much all of what u said but still no voice data is moved over the system

im using SPA942 phones from linksys and they work fine with our other voip provider just not the pbx i have setup my self

my pbx sits on a XP machine and is in the dmz everyone can connect and register on it but when calling someone (anyone) no voice data is transmitted just "beep beep beep"

any ideas? i would think putting the xp machine in a dmz would of done the trick no software firewalls at all.

what should i check for in the codecs of the phone?

Anyone have any suggestions? :) im on my 4th trial of this software (and its a pain as its tied ot mac id so i keep having to find new network cards) and still cant get the basic pbx funtions to work i have tried 4 routers as well :)

i have 1 pbx people register we can all call each other but nothing is transmitted over the web, if i install all my phones locally then everything works fine

Anyone have any suggestions? :) im on my 4th trial of this software (and its a pain as its tied ot mac id so i keep having to find new network cards) and still cant get the basic pbx funtions to work i have tried 4 routers as well :)

i have 1 pbx people register we can all call each other but nothing is transmitted over the web, if i install all my phones locally then everything works fine

At this point it looks like we need some info from the phone and/or the PBXNSIP PBX.

In the SDP (Session Description Protocol) portion of the SIP message the phone tells the PBX where to send (IP address) RTP (Voice Packets) on which port.

This is also true for the reverse, with the PBX telling the phone where it is and what port to use for voice.

In your phone see if there is Syslog feature. Download KIWI Syslog, get your phone to send some logs to it and that will get you in the ballpark

You may not have a port problem but rather an IP Address problem.

The PBX and the phones need to send their Public IP addresses ex. (34.22.123.201) in the SDP portion of the message, not their Private IP Addres. (ex 192.168.1.100).

The connection and ringing portion is easy since your phones are registered to the PBX.

The next step is for the PBX and phone to agree on a Codec (Use a-law or u-law for test)

You can also use the Logging feature in PBXNSIP. Set it up for level 7 and you will see all the messages sent.

You will learn more about SIP when you are done.

Bill H