Set processor affinity to 1 failed

after service reboot the log show this :

[2] 2008/06/06 18:20:50: Set processor affinity to 1 failed

Does Anybody know the meaning of that?

This is only important in environments with multiple CPU cores. If you have several cores, it means that the OS might shift the PBX process around between the CPUs - every shift meaning that during that time, there is no RTP. We had cases where this meant a lot of jitter and playout problems.

I assume you are using Linux?

• 2 weeks later...
This is only important in environments with multiple CPU cores. If you have several cores, it means that the OS might shift the PBX process around between the CPUs - every shift meaning that during that time, there is no RTP. We had cases where this meant a lot of jitter and playout problems.

I assume you are using Linux?

Yes, Linux in a quadcore server. What worried me is the "failed" part.

Anyway, is there any way to avoid that shifting around procesors and introduced jitter? (of course taking advantage of multicore for a higher number of calls capacity)

Yes, Linux in a quadcore server. What worried me is the "failed" part.

Anyway, is there any way to avoid that shifting around procesors and introduced jitter? (of course taking advantage of multicore for a higher number of calls capacity)

Well that is the purpose of the affinity... Worst case is that the Linux distribution is not supporting it, then there is not way to make sure that the core does not shift processes around.

• 1 year later...
what does the affinity do? "lock" it down to 1 core? is it bad or good to do?

The problem is that it takes several ms before the OS is able to move the thread context from one core to another. For most applications this is no problem. But for the PBX, this introduces additional jitter. We had cases where this made it difficult to understand the conversation.

• 2 months later...
but setting the affinity only locks the RTP to a given CORE correct?

In version 4, that is correct--right now. We received news that this might be a problem. Seems like Windows locks all threads when moving one thread from one core to another. This would be very bad news because then we cannot allow some threads to run on free-floating cores. In Linux, we did not complaints to far about such an issue.