IOS version 14.7.1 app version 1.11 - still rings when app is closed on phone

RichardDCG

The issue as I see it is that we have clients that use both the desktop app and the IOS app.  When they close the desktop app the PC wont ring, they can also sign out of the desktop app and the PC won't ring. When they close the IOS app the app still rings .... forever until it is killed at the PBX.  Is there no way to just unregister the account and then re-register when you open it again?  All they want to do is use the mobile when they are out and about without the laptop, but to turn it off when they are back at the PC. They are just standard users, they want simple actions.  Using 'focus' may not work since its not a set time, they want to have it on and off at will.

Well that's not how app are supposed to work... The app is actually easily drifting into the background e.g. when you switch to another app and the OS is quick to completely remove it from memory. When the user wants to use the app, the PBX still needs to use the wakeup service to deliver a call or message. 

I think what we really need is to split the "call app" flag which we already have into "call mobile app" and "call desktop app". That flag would actually be available also on the desktop app, so that the user could turn the iOS app "on" from there as well.

I guess what I expect from an app is that when I want to use it I can and when I want to stop it I can. .. without using 'focus', that seems to be a lot of playing around for an issue with a single app.  I am pretty sure that prior to whatever update from Apple that the IOS app did not ring when not in use.  I like the push feature, but I need to be able to turn it off when I don't want it ringing.  With the Zoiper app (also has a push feature) you can unregister the account and it wont ring.  The next time you open Zoiper the phone will ring again.

I don't use Whatsapp.  I would also class that as a social app and it's target market to be different.  I am certain that previously closing the mobile app stopped the registration and therefore the calls.  Is it an unreasonable expectation to want to be able to logout?  With the Zoiper app for example, I can unregister the account and close the app and it will not ring.  When I reopen the app it registers and calls resume. 

Windows can close the app, the Zoiper app can unregister.  Both then automatically log back in the next time you open them.  

The IOS app remains connected and rings till the end of time.  The only way to stop it is to login to the PBX or delete the settings in the app.  The next time you want to use it you need to rescan the QR or type it all back in. 

For the whatsapp analogy - not being able to stop it calling is probably a good reason not to use it.

There were several discussions here on the forum and also talking to clients. What seems to be clear is that we need to split the flag weather to call the "app" into weather to call the "mobile app" (which would be iOS and Android) and weather to call the "desktop app" (which would be Windows, MacOS and browser). That seems to fulfill the requirements and expectations from the users.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2021 at 8:01 AM, Vodia PBX said:

There were several discussions here on the forum and also talking to clients. What seems to be clear is that we need to split the flag weather to call the "app" into weather to call the "mobile app" (which would be iOS and Android) and weather to call the "desktop app" (which would be Windows, MacOS and browser). That seems to fulfill the requirements and expectations from the users.

This would work for me. Split the ‘call the app’ between mobile and desktop.  Or even just have the mobile only treated as the ‘app’?  The desktop app is easy to stop calling …. just close it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2021 at 10:50 AM, RichardDCG said:

This would work for me. Split the ‘call the app’ between mobile and desktop.  Or even just have the mobile only treated as the ‘app’?  The desktop app is easy to stop calling …. just close it.

Is treating the mobile only as the 'app' a possibility?  This would resolve a lot of problems...