IOS version 14.7.1 app version 1.11 - still rings when app is closed on phone

RichardDCG

• 2 weeks later...

For the app, it is absolutely a feature that calls still come in after you have closed the app. Every VoIP app does that.

If you want to log out, you can click on the account name at the top of the app and select "unregister account". That deletes the registration on the PBX.

If you just don't want to receive calls on the app, on the same screen you can also disable "call the app".

image.png

Zoiper allows you to unregister, the next time you open the app it auto registers again.  It also has a timer set that counts down.  The IOS version remains open forever.  If I delete the registration it is removed completely and I need to rescan the QR again.  This didn't happen before with this app.  Once the app was closed that was it, the registration disappeared.  It was actually a bit annoying that if the app wasn't open and in the foreground the phone did not ring..

I just did a test with this on 67.0.4.  I register an extension on IOS, then deleted it from the account as per your suggestion.  I then called the ext and my phone rang.  You also then need to also close the app. Otherwise it still holds a connection.

If you disable 'call the app' then you also disable the desktop app.

Zoiper, if you don't enable the push feature then closing the app completely removes the registration.  Otherwise it stays until the timer expires.

Grandstream WAVE app also unregisters when you close the app.

I guess the expectation is that once you close out the app on your phone that the registration is dropped and you don't get calls. Or at least that it will time out after a period and not remain forever. 

On 9/30/2021 at 2:39 AM, mskenderian said:

I disagree, the phone should stay registered, I think the issues comes with the option "Call the app", this should be independent of the windows app or any other app.

I guess I don't really care how it is accomplished, I just want the ability to easily stop the phone ringing and to then easily start it again and not impact anything else.  Previously the app did stop once you closed the app ... it also stopped when you put it in the background or the screen went off the phone.

As I said in one of my initial posts - I am on the fence if I like this feature.  It is handy to not to have to always have it open and running ... but I need to be able to stop it ringing. 

Oh there might be a misunderstanding here... In the registration tab in the tenant web interface you don't only see the registrations that currently have a TCP connection. The list also shows the wakeup token registrations that are sent to Apple to wake the app up. They don't have an expiry value and they show as "APP". You can even power the phone off and this one will still show, it does not consume any battery on the phone. 

Again, if you want to want to stop the PBX from calling the app, you can either switch off that flat in my post above, you can completely unregister from that same page. And in iOS 15, you can also now set your profile e.g. "private" where the Vodia app gets blocked, e.g. when you are home. 

Many SIP soft phones have the problem that there is no such thing as wakeup in "classical" SIP. This is clearly a major disadvantage/showstopper. The Vodia phone does not have that limitation. The PBX uses the push service from Apple to wake the app up. The PBX also does that for Android, though this is a different mechanism. 

I cant see the privacy option in IOS 15.  If it is set private then the desktop app is also private?  The gripe I am getting is you cant turn off the IOS app, you can close the desktop app and it wont ring.  People want to be able to stop the mobile app from getting calls. I have clients using the desktop app and the mobile app, when they are in the office they don't want the app to ring.  You can log out of the desktop...

On 10/8/2021 at 11:51 AM, mskenderian said:

I encountered another issues similiar to this. I registered my iOS app with my client QR code to test it out, then i deleted it, and did not scan any other code, i still get calls coming in for my customer.

Then there seems to be a problem with talking to the PBX when deregistering. You can manually delete the app wakeup registration from the tenant portal in the extension, registration tab.

On 10/7/2021 at 5:49 PM, RichardDCG said:

I cant see the privacy option in IOS 15.  If it is set private then the desktop app is also private?  The gripe I am getting is you cant turn off the IOS app, you can close the desktop app and it wont ring.  People want to be able to stop the mobile app from getting calls. I have clients using the desktop app and the mobile app, when they are in the office they don't want the app to ring.  You can log out of the desktop...

In the iOS setting, select "Focus", then "Work" (or whatever you want to use). Then there under Apps make sure that the "Phone System" is in the "Allowed Apps".

On 10/11/2021 at 7:49 AM, Vodia PBX said:

Then there seems to be a problem with talking to the PBX when deregistering. You can manually delete the app wakeup registration from the tenant portal in the extension, registration tab.

I got annoyed getting phone calls from a previous account, I didnt want to delete the app, I just registered the app to another test tenant on another Test PBX. I still get calls. from the previously registered account.

We are thinking of moving to Vodia but this is an issue for me - not being able to log out of the app.

Use case is, I have a deskphone which I use. Several days a week I am on 'Early Phones' where I answer the phone from 7am. During this time I use the iphone app, so that I can be away from my desk (making breakfast) but still answer calls, after 8:30am (or if I am not on Early Phones) I do not want the calls on my iphone.   In our current solution the iphone app has a logout option, vodia apps needs this. I do not want to have to delete the account in the app as I then need to re-enter all details (or re-scan QR code). 

We simply need the ability to logout and login

There are several things here that are mixed up.

The fundamental issue is that employees don't like calls outside of "working hours" (whatever that exactly is) or on unrelated topics (e.g. support calls). 

As for the working hours, there are several things possible today:

• Service flag: This works well if the employee has more or less fixed hours. The service flag defines when the app and the cell phone gets called (desktop phones get called anyway as they are supposed to be in the office). For example, you could set up 8 AM to 6 PM or maybe 9 AM to 5 PM depending on how tolerant you want to be and you can define what days are holidays. This can be defined per tenant or per extension.
  • DND: When it is difficult to define fixed times, an employee can just use manual do-not-disturb. This can be done (as of 68) for a few minutes, until the end of the day or until the end of time. This method can be combined with the service flag. It's easy to do from the app but its also easy to forget thus the time features.
  • App flags: A little bit more inside the app, the app offers control over which device class gets called. We have currently app (which might be too broad considering that iOS app and PC app are in the same class), VoIP phones and mobile phones (GSM). This is a manual process.
  • iOS 15: Lets not forget that Apple has introduced "focus" where you can define what app can interrupt a user. This is a fantastic feature, because it can use e.g. the geolocation instead of a fixed time schedule. And it is also great because if can mute unwanted apps while working, further reducing the number of interruptions and improving the work life balance. Lets see what Android comes up with, there is already a work profile and a private profile it might be not too hard to enable or disable them similar to what Apple has done. 
  • Completely unregistering the phone at the end of the day sounds to me like a misunderstanding of what the use case is. 

As far as the topics are related, this is largely related to logging in and logging out of a queue. That means largely logging in and logging out of a queue. So far we have seen only few agents using the mobile apps (might be changing), but the PC apps have the login and logout flag in the queue view.