should I try to put my fax inside pbxnsip network?

mattlandis

Hi,

We have a patton 4114 gateway and 4 pstn lines.

1 of those is ocassionally used by our fax machine. (a true fax machine someone can walk up to)

We need to keep the fax machine.

Will I fiddle a lot or can i get a t.38 fxs/ata and have the AA detect and forward to fax machine?

Also outgoing faxes?

Would be nice but I don't want to fiddle and fiddle. Also, does someone have ATA/fXS they recommend?

(I would use a patton m-ata, if no suggestions)

thanks for your very valued opnion,

matt

We have a patton 4114 gateway and 4 pstn lines.

1 of those is ocassionally used by our fax machine. (a true fax machine someone can walk up to)

We need to keep the fax machine.

Will I fiddle a lot or can i get a t.38 fxs/ata and have the AA detect and forward to fax machine?

Also outgoing faxes?

Would be nice but I don't want to fiddle and fiddle. Also, does someone have ATA/fXS they recommend?

(I would use a patton m-ata, if no suggestions)

We all know that T.38 is not a masterpiece with regards to simplicity and interoperability and features like encryption are still missing. If you are a pragmatic guy and your business cards printed a DID number that correspond to a specific cable coming out of the wall - yes I would plug that straight into the FAX. Or if you are a real pragmatic guy and you are running the PBX in the LAN you say so what and skip the whole T.38 part and just use G.711 to the FAX. The LAN does not loose packets.

The only case where you really need T.38 is when you want to run the FAX over a line that does drop packets, e.g. when using a ITSP service or having the FAX in a remote office. Then you have no big choice - T.38 is the way to go. Hopefully your ITSP supports T.38 already.

We all know that T.38 is not a masterpiece with regards to simplicity and interoperability and features like encryption are still missing. If you are a pragmatic guy and your business cards printed a DID number that correspond to a specific cable coming out of the wall - yes I would plug that straight into the FAX. Or if you are a real pragmatic guy and you are running the PBX in the LAN you say so what and skip the whole T.38 part and just use G.711 to the FAX. The LAN does not loose packets.

The only case where you really need T.38 is when you want to run the FAX over a line that does drop packets, e.g. when using a ITSP service or having the FAX in a remote office. Then you have no big choice - T.38 is the way to go. Hopefully your ITSP supports T.38 already.

Hi,

Thanks for that input.

This is my design:

pstn phone line #xxx-xxxx ---> patton4114 pstn gateway ---> pbxnsip ---> patton m-ata ----> fax machine

-we want to use fax machine for incoming and outgoing faxes

-when fax machine not in use we use that line for calls

Do we setup in patton4114 pstn gatway to send the fax it detects to patton m-ata?

or do we detect fax in pbxnsip ivr?

tx

matt

This is my design:

pstn phone line #xxx-xxxx ---> patton4114 pstn gateway ---> pbxnsip ---> patton m-ata ----> fax machine

-we want to use fax machine for incoming and outgoing faxes

-when fax machine not in use we use that line for calls

Do we setup in patton4114 pstn gatway to send the fax it detects to patton m-ata?

or do we detect fax in pbxnsip ivr?

If everything is in the LAN, I would keep it to G.711 and make life easier. Though using Patton on both ends might be easy.

On a side note, you can use the auto attendant to detect the fax tone and then send the call to the fax extension. A fax tone is like someone pressing "F" (instead of DTMF 0-9).

• 2 weeks later...
If everything is in the LAN, I would keep it to G.711 and make life easier. Though using Patton on both ends might be easy.

On a side note, you can use the auto attendant to detect the fax tone and then send the call to the fax extension. A fax tone is like someone pressing "F" (instead of DTMF 0-9).

I'll give that a try.

I have a patton m-ata I'll use.

Thanks for the input,

matt

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, got the incoming fax going to fax machine.

audiocodes mp114 --> pbnxsip (F code in AA) --> patton m-ata --> hpfaxmachine.

Call does go thru the whole way to the fax machine. The fax machine says "answering" but never does.

Any ideas?

tx

matt

Can you please send the SIP trace to support@pbxnsip.com? If you have the wireshark trace that will be useful too.