64 Bits processors

YMSL

The only gain you can have is that running Vista 64 bit you will be able to address more available RAM to a 32 bits program.

Vista 32 bit will limit 3.5 GB addressable RAM.

With Vista 64 bit you will be able to address 3.5 GB RAM to each 32 bit program. But PBXnSIP will not use that much memory. At least I never saw it did consume so much memory.

• 3 weeks later...
That would solve it. On the other hand... why you need 64bit at the moment? I saw systems running 200 users and using some hundreds MB of RAM...

Well I am setting up an i7 processor 3.33ghz with 6GB ram for a hosting company running Windows 2008 64 bit. You are right that Pbxnsip is not memory hungry, however I do think it would perform a bit better on 64 bit anyway. specially if there is recordings and codec conversions.

• 3 weeks later...
Well I am setting up an i7 processor 3.33ghz with 6GB ram for a hosting company running Windows 2008 64 bit. You are right that Pbxnsip is not memory hungry, however I do think it would perform a bit better on 64 bit anyway. specially if there is recordings and codec conversions.

Poweruser things are indeed giving some performance gain. I would expect some win in performance in transcoding a lot of calls.

But on the other hand I see not so much gain at the moment. Like PBXnSIP also said it's not mainstream yet so nothing is well optimized for 64 yet. If this is mainstream I think it will gain total overall performance.

If your codecs are still 32bit or pbxnsip is using 32bit codecs the gain of performance is ofcourse not that much in that field you would like.