set up a sip trunk

pbxuser911

your saying i need to set up a sip gateway on my end?

and i give him the user name and password i put in there?

and i give that to him and he will be able to register to me?

No physical SIP gateway; just the "gateway" mode on the trunk. You can also use username/password on a SIP gateway trunk for authentication.

If you have a clear hierarchy of PBX then things should be simple. Just treat the PBX in the lower levels like extensions/soft phones. Registering them makes things easy and if helps to solve potential NAT problems.

Gateway mode can be used to have a mesh of PBX. Maybe the word "federation" would be appropriate here. Like several companies calling each other.

I was able to create an extension and have the other PBX register as an extension and make calls

but was wondering if it’s actually possible to set up a "gateway" between the 2 instead of via extension

the person trying to make calls on our PBX is able to register their device (which is actually a call blaster product)

but they also want to test a "sip peer", is it possible?

I was able to create an extension and have the other PBX register as an extension and make calls

but was wondering if it's actually possible to set up a "gateway" between the 2 instead of via extension

the person trying to make calls on our PBX is able to register their device (which is actually a call blaster product)

but they also want to test a "sip peer", is it possible?

You can set up a gateway if both PBX are on routable IP addresses. For example, we do this between the different branch offices.

The biggest hickup is the "localhost" name. If you have it, the PBX will easily mix up extensions between the different PBX. The way around this is to use telephone numbers, even if they are not reachable from the PSTN. This way the different PBX can determine if the call comes from an extension or a trunk.