Snom one Soho cannot get plug and Play working

citytelecom

Alright, now your box is running the latest .1090 version.

I see a lot of

Could not send 9215 bytes to 10.0.0.105, error code 104

We have seen this if you run IE to login to the PBX. Not an issue for the PnP though. Assign the MAC address of any snom phone on one of the extensions and reset the phone (here I assume that the phone and the PBX are on the same network).

I don't see to be getting very far with my Plug and Play issue. I guess I need to check 2 things first:

1) Are my Snom phones broadcasting multicast?

2) Is my Snom One Soho listening?

1) Well, since I am using more than one phone and they running on the lastest firmware (8.7.3.7) I think it is safe to assume

the issue is not with the phones.

2) I have selected the SIP Multicast option however I would like to see that it is on in one of the event logs. So far I have not been able to find

'Joined Multicast' to confirm it is on.

The third possibility is that my LAN is preventing the mutlicast from working. Can someone help me in checking this possibility?

I have done some work on this.

I have set up a LAN switch with only my SnomONE Soho, a Snom 370 and laptop connected.

I set logging so PnP was at 8 and the rest at 0. I reset the unit and I still did not see

'Joined Multicast' in the logfile.

I guess this rule out my office LAN as the cause.

I don't see to be getting very far with my Plug and Play issue. I guess I need to check 2 things first:

1) Are my Snom phones broadcasting multicast?

2) Is my Snom One Soho listening?

1) Well, since I am using more than one phone and they running on the lastest firmware (8.7.3.7) I think it is safe to assume

the issue is not with the phones.

2) I have selected the SIP Multicast option however I would like to see that it is on in one of the event logs. So far I have not been able to find

'Joined Multicast' to confirm it is on.

The third possibility is that my LAN is preventing the mutlicast from working. Can someone help me in checking this possibility?

What router are you using?

Joined multicast group x.x.x.x is logged at level 8 of "Log General Events". If that category is set to 8, then you should see this log message.

Otherwise, you should see "Could not join multicast group x.x.x.x". This is logged at level 0. So, you should see this message in case of the failure.

Obviously, 2 things you can verify -

1. Check the SIP logs on the phone. That should show you "SUBSCRIBE" message (http://downloads.snom.net/snomONE/docs/PnP_Multicast.swf)
  2. Check the PBX SIP trace to see if the SUBSCRIBE message is in the PBX log

If you don't see the 1st one, then obviously the phone is not doing the multicast PnP.

If you see the 1st one but not the 2nd one, then you know there is some issue(i.e., blocking the multicast) in the network or the network interface of the PBX server.

Joined multicast group x.x.x.x is logged at level 8 of "Log General Events". If that category is set to 8, then you should see this log message.

Otherwise, you should see "Could not join multicast group x.x.x.x". This is logged at level 0. So, you should see this message in case of the failure.

Obviously, 2 things you can verify -

1. Check the SIP logs on the phone. That should show you "SUBSCRIBE" message (http://downloads.snom.net/snomONE/docs/PnP_Multicast.swf)
  2. Check the PBX SIP trace to see if the SUBSCRIBE message is in the PBX log

If you don't see the 1st one, then obviously the phone is not doing the multicast PnP.

If you see the 1st one but not the 2nd one, then you know there is some issue(i.e., blocking the multicast) in the network or the network interface of the PBX server.

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I can now see 'Joined Multicast' in the logfile.

I would like to check the PBX SIP log but cannot see how to access it. Could you tell where I can get it?

Thank you for referring me to the logging information.

Accordingly I have gathered some data:

1) I can see 'Joined Multicast' in the logfile.

2) On the Snom360 that I am using I can see in the SIP log:

Sent to udp:224.0.1.75:5060 at 29/6/2012 07:14:11:876 (441 bytes):

SUBSCRIBE sip:MAC%3a0004132937F6@citytelecom.local SIP/2.0

Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 10.0.0.114:2049;rport

From: <sip:MAC%3a0004132937F6@citytelecom.local>;tag=848838009

To: <sip:MAC%3a0004132937F6@citytelecom.local>

Call-ID: 674703785@10.0.0.114

CSeq: 1 SUBSCRIBE

Event: ua-profile;profile-type="device";vendor="snom";model="snom360";version="8.7.3.7"

Expires: 0

Accept: application/url

Content-Length: 0

3) On the SnomONE Soho I have setting the logging for 'Log TFTP and PNP Events' to 7. I then connect my Snom 360.

Once it has come to life and booted up I go to check the logfile to see if there has been any PnP activity but the logfile is empty.

I feel there is something wrong with my testing procedure.

Any and all assistance and advice as always appreciated.

Did you turn on the "Log SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY:" under the "SIP Logging" section too? You need to do that to see the SIP SUBSCRIBE messages on the PBX. If you have turned it on and still do not see the messages, that means the PBX is not receiving the SUBSCRIBE message. That is cause for PnP not working.

OK, so I can see 'Joined Multicast' in my logfile on booting up the Snom One Soho.

I then clear the log.

In Logging I set 'Log General Events', 'Log SIP events' and 'Log TFTP and PnP events' to '8'. All the rest I set to '0'.

Also I turn on 'Log SUBSCRIBE/Notify' to 'YES'.

I put my Snom 360 MAC code in 'Bind to MAC Address'.

I then default my Snom 360.

Then I power down and reconnect the 360.

The phone boots up and stops at the Time Zone setting.

The log on the Snom One Soho is empty!

I feel I'm missing something very basic here.

Well we also had cases where the multicast works in one network and then not in other networks. You have to keep in mind that multicast usually does not cross routers, and smart switeches might also be a problem. For example in the snom office there are several VLAN, and between them multicast is not working.

OK, so I can see 'Joined Multicast' in my logfile on booting up the Snom One Soho.

I then clear the log.

In Logging I set 'Log General Events', 'Log SIP events' and 'Log TFTP and PnP events' to '8'. All the rest I set to '0'.

Also I turn on 'Log SUBSCRIBE/Notify' to 'YES'.

I put my Snom 360 MAC code in 'Bind to MAC Address'.

I then default my Snom 360.

Then I power down and reconnect the 360.

The phone boots up and stops at the Time Zone setting.

The log on the Snom One Soho is empty!

I feel I'm missing something very basic here.

Are you able to ssh to the unit and add route for multicast?

you can add a multicast route on your soho here is the cmd line route add -net 224.0.0.0 netmask 240.0.0.0 dev eth0

reboot the unit and then try again, just a thought..

Are you able to ssh to the unit and add route for multicast?

you can add a multicast route on your soho here is the cmd line route add -net 224.0.0.0 netmask 240.0.0.0 dev eth0

reboot the unit and then try again, just a thought..

Thank you for the suggestion. I did try it but,sorry, no PnP.