Update to latest version - can't make outbound external calls

Randall Garner

There is no call log attached.

Apart from that -

1. 4.5.0.1090 is the latest version.
  2. If you still have issues after upgrading to .1090, then please look at the custom headers as explained here - http://wiki.snomone.com/index.php?title=Trunk_Custom_Headers
  3. Some examples are here - http://wiki.snomone.com/index.php?title=Custom_Headers_on_the_Trunk

I just performed the update to 1090.

Tested outbound calls again, but same result. I noticed on the Calls screen, the outbound calls have a State of "Idle".

I've reviewed the links provided about Custom Headers, but this setting appears to be the same as before the upgrade this morning. However, I contacted our SIP provider to verify the correct setting and it appears we are configured correctly.

Also while on the phone, we placed a test outbound call and our phone provider stated they never observed the outbound call hit their system.

Lastly, I've attched two call logs - the one I forgot to upload earlier (outbound.txt), and a new one after the lastest update (outbound2.txt).

We are still without outbound calls. Please advise at your earliest convenience.

Thanks,

Randall

outbound.txt

outbound2.txt

PBX is sending the INVITE to "24.96.139.170:5060" and not getting any responses back from them. Is that the right address of the trunk provider?

If they say the outbound call never hit their system, then there is some other issue, most probably the network issue. Possible cases are, black listing of the IP address, firewalls, etc.

If you happen to have the SIP log (the outbound call log) to this provider before the upgrade, please post it too. We can see what's the difference between the 2, just to make sure that they are not dropping the INVITE because of the message itself.

24.96.139.170 is the correct IP address for our providers SIP truck proxy. And since they only change today has been the version of PBX software, I don't understand how this would cause network issues suggested.

Since we could not make any outbound calls, I've restored the previous version - 2011-4.2.1.4025 (Win64). After the restore, we could immediately place outbound calls again.

Now that we are back on the old version, I will gather the SIP log you requested, then perform the upgrade again and capture another SIP log in the new version. To make sure I get you the exact information you need, can you please tell me how to pull the SIP log you requested?

Once I received your response, I will schedule to gather these logs first thing the following morning and post here.

Thanks for your assistance,

Randall

SIP log can be taken in 4.2.x.x version based on http://wiki.snomone.com/index.php?title=Retrieving_SIP_logging. That should show you the INVITE that is going out to the trunk proxy.

Since you have already given us the outbound2.txt, we do not need the log from the new version again. Once we see the log from 4.2 version, we will suggest the trunk "Remote Party/Privacy Indication:" settings. That should take care of the issue you are facing in the new version.

SIP log can be taken in 4.2.x.x version based on http://wiki.snomone.com/index.php?title=Retrieving_SIP_logging. That should show you the INVITE that is going out to the trunk proxy.

Since you have already given us the outbound2.txt, we do not need the log from the new version again. Once we see the log from 4.2 version, we will suggest the trunk "Remote Party/Privacy Indication:" settings. That should take care of the issue you are facing in the new version.

Attached is the log file as requested. Attempted to place the external call to the same number, from the same VoIP phone, but on the new version of PBX software.

Looking forward to hear what you find about the headers.

Thanks,

Randall

outbound3.txt

Looks like there is absolutely nothing coming back from the service provider. I assume this is because the From-Header has nothing in it that matches the subscriber database. This is debatable, but (in the light of DoS) understandable. I would change the From header to always use the subscriber information, for example "{trunk}" (without the quotes).

Attached is the log file as requested. Attempted to place the external call to the same number, from the same VoIP phone, but on the new version of PBX software.

Looking forward to hear what you find about the headers.

Thanks,

Randall

outbound3.txt is also from 4.5.0.1090. So it is essentially same as outbound2.txt.

We want similar log from 4.2.1.4025.

I attempted to capture the call log of a test call this morning, but it appears this version of PBX software (2011-4.2.1.4025) is not logging the same level of detail as the newer version log (4.5.0.1090) that I've captured to TXT files and uploaded to this ticket previously.

I have uploaded the log file as I see it now (outbound4.txt)...please review and tell me what am I missing? Does the newer version offer better logging detail by default? What do I need to enable on this current version to be able to log the correct information you need?

I attempted to capture the call log of a test call this morning, but it appears this version of PBX software (2011-4.2.1.4025) is not logging the same level of detail as the newer version log (4.5.0.1090) that I've captured to TXT files and uploaded to this ticket previously.

I have uploaded the log file as I see it now (outbound4.txt)...please review and tell me what am I missing? Does the newer version offer better logging detail by default? What do I need to enable on this current version to be able to log the correct information you need?

Hi, Randall can you provide us with the trunk credentials in my inbox so we can test it here, You can also open a ticket with us at support.snom.com so we can resolved this issue thanks.

Hello Mr. X,

I would be more than happy to provide the requested information and start a support ticket; however, the SIP service we receive from our provider does not have any authentication - it's not hosted or served over the internet. Our provider gave us a direct ethernet cable and IP address to setup our PBX. I don't think this type of service delivery will be able to be tested on your end.

Please let me know how you would like me to proceed.

Thanks,

Randall

Forgot to upload the file?

Yes, the newer version has better control on the logs. For the older version please use http://wiki.snomone.com/index.php?title=Retrieving_SIP_logging for help.

In 4.2.1.4025

INVITE sip:2586286@24.96.139.170;user=phone SIP/2.0
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 10.36.1.18:5060;branch=z9hG4bK-51894bc0201b0a0fcd1f844b0562cbdd;rport
To: <sip:2586286@24.96.139.170;user=phone>
User-Agent: snom-PBX/2011-4.2.1.4025
Remote-Party-ID: "Ron Hardy" <sip:18502345271@pbx.gulfworld.com;user=phone>;party=calling;screen=yes

In 4.5.0.1090

INVITE sip:2586286@24.96.139.170;user=phone SIP/2.0
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 10.36.1.18:5060;branch=z9hG4bK-385ccc20f762fcb4bbbaaf4ecb4646bf;rport
To: <sip:2586286@pbx.gulfworld.com;user=phone>
User-Agent: snomONE/4.5.0.1090 Epsilon Geminids
Remote-Party-ID: "Ron Hardy" <sip:18502345271@pbx.gulfworld.com;user=phone>
Privacy: id
P-Charging-Vector: icid-value=;icid-generated-at=10.36.1.18;orig-ioi=pbx.gulfworld.com

Looking at these 2 traces, in 4.2, both From header and the Remote-Party-ID header had same number. In 4.5, From header was as extension. Also, in 4.5, there are other headers (the provider may not like some of those too).

So, after you upgrade to 4.5, please modify these on the trunk

Set the "Remote Party/Privacy Indication:" to "Customs Headers" and set the following drop-down to

Request-URI:  Let the system decide (default)
To: Let the system decide (default)
P-Asserted-Identity: Don't use header
P-Preferred-Identity: Don't use header
Remote-Party-ID: Based on incoming call
P-Charging-Vector: Don't use header
Privacy Indication: Don't use header

Basically, play with the "From" header drop-down, just in case if they don't like the above mentioned header.

BTW, you can also, choose "Other" for the "From" header and set something like

"My company name" <sip:{trunk-ani}@{domain};user=phone>

or

"My name" <sip:{ext-ani}@{domain};user=phone>

or

any other combination of tag/template from http://wiki.snomone.com/index.php?title=Trunk_Custom_Headers