VOIP WIFI Phone help suggestions

MichaelW

I would consider Android phones with version 2.3 or higher being candidates (unless the SIP functionality was disabled). Practically all smart phones can run SIP clients today. Dedicated WLAN phones dont make sense anymore IMHO. Just buy a cheap smart phone and don't put a SIM card inside.

that sounds a bit like an experimental/testing lab senario to me. ;-)

for 1 unit, for a techie person-- maybe. But our experience is that those needing portable phones are usually not the techy/geeky type. ;-)

Challenges:

-non geeky types don't like to have to "hunt the app" to make a call

-does any old cheap mobile device do roaming nicely? (this is a question)

-battery life on a cheap mobile device will not impress

-portable phones usually used in "rugged senarios" so touch screen often not most idea for dialing

-since used in rugged senarios they need to be able to drop a lot and survive (i know its a cheap device, but just "replacing it hassle" will frustrate)

-need to work everytime or those big tough guys using portable phone will emerge from their freezer or warehouse, come into the IT guy's office and start pounding on your desk with big ham fist. ;-)

if it truly is good to be on mobile devices, then it might be a suggestion for snom mobile device phone/softphone? ;-)

just imho,

matt

There were a couple of Wifi phones available, for example from Hitachi. I did not have the impression they were a huge success.

-non geeky types don't like to have to "hunt the app" to make a call

Of course not. I saw that the latest Android has a new dialer that make SIP usable to norma people.

-does any old cheap mobile device do roaming nicely? (this is a question)

Did any Wifi phone ever perform roaming? Really open question...

-battery life on a cheap mobile device will not impress

Well, but here have the feeling that the latest smart phones are far better than anything I saw in the pure Wifi phone space.

-portable phones usually used in "rugged senarios" so touch screen often not most idea for dialing

-since used in rugged senarios they need to be able to drop a lot and survive (i know its a cheap device, but just "replacing it hassle" will frustrate)

Thats very true. I likes the old Nokia phones E-series with build-in WiFi and SIP. But I think they are probably not available any more and the SIP client could also have been improved.

-need to work everytime or those big tough guys using portable phone will emerge from their freezer or warehouse, come into the IT guy's office and start pounding on your desk with big ham fist. ;-)

I see the point. Maybe those leather covers can come to the rescue...

if it truly is good to be on mobile devices, then it might be a suggestion for snom mobile device phone/softphone? ;-)

At the end of the day, it is only a question about volume. Customers expect a quality similar to the cell phones they use every day, and similar prices. It might be very challenging to achieve that.

• 2 weeks later...

good points, thanks.

I have tested

Linksys - WIP330 (WiFi only)

E28.com - e2831

Motorola Droid 2 with iSip and other SIP client

iPhone 3GS .4 and 4S with iSip and Media5-fone

None work like a cell phone on both Wifi or 3G

and that on local and remote hosted PBXnSIP and snomONE

If quality of the communication it the key, you will have great deception at this current time.

Unidata SQ-3000 is my next test phone

You may also want to look into Jabra 9400 eerie linked with SNOM phone. Tested on work ok.

this is my "2 cents"!