Version 5 is available

Vodia PBX

The rumor was spreading already for some time. Many of you probably have already seen the new web site, http://snomone.com. Now it is official: snom ONE version 5 is out!

There are four things that are interesting with this release.

The first one is that it now supports fax to email. This was a feature that we all waited for a long time, and it is a significant improvement to many offices. Especially in offices where fax is not so popular any more, it makes it possible to receive fax messages and redirect it into the email folders of the users. For outbound fax, you still need an ATA and a fax machine; but considering the fact that you usually fax documents that require a signature, which requires paper form anyway, this is okay in most cases.

The second one is the support for Microsoft Lync. We are not talking about voice or even video here. This is really simply about the update of the call status on Lync. It is actually a very simple, basic feature. However it is very useful when operating Lync and snom ONE at the same time. You can use Lync as a kind of operator console for snom ONE. I have not tested it with Office 365 yet, but I believe it is a killer for small offices to have both systems talk to each other.

The third point is the new web interface. The version 4 web interface was what it was and many customers expressed that improvements are possible. The focus on the new web interface was it to get things done faster, easier. The navigation bar is now on the left side, and you have to click less to get to the page that you need. We even have a wizard in the new web interface; however it did not make it into the 5.0.0 build and we have to deliver it later.

The last point is the licensing. I know that not everyone like changes, but those changes were simply necessary. I have talked about it already in another post this week and don't want to repeat everything here. The web site is now publically available, and after you take a look at it you might wonder why some people get so upset about it. Every system now must have an activation code, which is a token representing that system. That code can have a lot of attributes attaches, bundles and features. It is now even possible to mix trial with permanent licensing, which is very useful for trying things out.

We would be happy if you try it out. As with the version 4, there is a free license available. Maybe you have a virtual machine or a computer somewhere for giving it a test ride. All you need to do is to go to the Wiki (http://wiki.snomone....tle=Release_5.0) and follow the instructions for installing a new PBX. You'll have to register with snomone.com to get the activation code, which you then have to copy & paste into the PBX.

For those who are using MacOS we beg you for a few days patience. We are trying to move to Mountain Lion, and there are some bumps on the road. We will also come out with a snom ONE mini build soon.

As we did in the past years, we are open for feedback. Complex software is not a constant. We want to make sure that it is moving into the directions that matter most.

For outbound fax, you still need an ATA and a fax machine; but considering the fact that you usually fax documents that require a signature, which requires paper form anyway, this is okay in most cases.

Ver 5 added Fax-to-Email, that's a good start. It would be easy to now add Web-to-Fax. The best would be Email-to-Fax but we would be happy with Web-to-Fax. Yes the trunk would have to support T.38 but a lot of providers now support T.38, G711 faxing is unreliable.

Web-to-Fax:

- User logs into their snomone end user web interface, clicks on the fax tab, then clicks on send fax - on this web page it has the standard To: From: Subject: Body for a message and also be able to upload documents of many formats .doc/rtf/PDF/txt/etc. Snomone converts the docs to tiff and faxes them.

Email-to-Fax would be more of a pain to develop as you would then need to have an internal email server ap running and polling etc but Web-to-fax would be easy to develope.

Right now you have the Fax-to-Email but you should also have it store the fax PDF's in the end users web interface just like we view voicemail messages. This way if the Fax-to-Email fails in sending it via email for whatever reason it would still be in the end users web interface. PDF files use up less space then voicemail messages.

Ver 5 added Fax-to-Email, that's a good start. It would be easy to now add Web-to-Fax. The best would be Email-to-Fax but we would be happy with Web-to-Fax. Yes the trunk would have to support T.38 but a lot of providers now support T.38, G711 faxing is unreliable.

Web-to-Fax:

- User logs into their snomone end user web interface, clicks on the fax tab, then clicks on send fax - on this web page it has the standard To: From: Subject: Body for a message and also be able to upload documents of many formats .doc/rtf/PDF/txt/etc. Snomone converts the docs to tiff and faxes them.

Email-to-Fax would be more of a pain to develop as you would then need to have an internal email server ap running and polling etc but Web-to-fax would be easy to develope.

It is a messy topic. I don't think it is very convenient to log into the web interface to send something out. And rendering PDF or XPS in the PBX is the last thing what we want to do in a PBX. We need to talk about printer drivers here. But that is not something that you develop overnight.

Right now you have the Fax-to-Email but you should also have it store the fax PDF's in the end users web interface just like we view voicemail messages. This way if the Fax-to-Email fails in sending it via email for whatever reason it would still be in the end users web interface. PDF files use up less space then voicemail messages.

Yepp. That's easier, did not make it into 5.0 yet but will appear in 5.1 for sure.

It is a messy topic. I don't think it is very convenient to log into the web interface to send something out. And rendering PDF or XPS in the PBX is the last thing what we want to do in a PBX. We need to talk about printer drivers here. But that is not something that you develop overnight.

Convenient? Your already at your desk with your computer and web browser already open...tab to your web browser and send the fax. The documents are already in your computer - just upload them to the web interface - stay at your desk/computer, it's more convenient/easier then printing them and walking over to the fax machine and faxing them and waiting for the confirmation page.

Rendering - there are a ton of already developed rendering engines/aps out there...license one and have it in your core program...it does all the work for you....some even support being able to convert/render over 200 file types to X format. You wouldn't be using printer drivers.

Hi voipguy,

Maybe yes, maybe not.

You talk about libraries/rendering engines which convert any document type to fax. So this needs to be implemented at the pbx level which runs on Windows, Linux & OS X.

Are those libraries/rendering engines also available for OSX ?

I agree with SnomONE they don't like the rendering at the pbx and printerdriver is the way to go.

But I agree with you that Email2fax is a missing part. In fact, I never stood still by the fact you could have the one without the other ;)

You talk about libraries/rendering engines which convert any document type to fax. So this needs to be implemented at the pbx level which runs on Windows, Linux & OS X.

Are those libraries/rendering engines also available for OSX ?

I agree with SnomONE they don't like the rendering at the pbx and printerdriver is the way to go.

But I agree with you that Email2fax is a missing part. In fact, I never stood still by the fact you could have the one without the other ;)

Version 5.0.0 will not be the last version. We are happy that we at least got the fax2email working, and that will include the MacOS (the build should be there in a couple of days). I think it is okay to look at the low hanging fruit first and then walk you way up. Fax2email was something that was relatively low for us now and so it was done. IMHO that is a important step forward for so many offices, it solves something like 40-80 % of the problems have in the FAX area already. Customers that need more can still use external FAX server software; and from what we saw that software can cost more than the whole PBX.

We don't have problem discussing what should be next; useful input is always welcome. Especially from those who have to get in front of customers and sell snom ONE.

House System--is our office system...

It would be good to know the conversion as soon as possible. We have a number of clients with a Blue license as well that purchased it since it was unlimited. I would hope you have a way to grandfather those customers. It is going to be hard to explain that they now have to pay for the features. Remember your marketing was one system all the features. It is pretty harsh to backtrack on that statement for customers who paid for the Blue or Yellow license. Maybe you let them have all the features except the new added features (ie: Lync integration/Fax to email).

Well, there are a couple of warning signs on http://wiki.snomone....tle=Release_5.0... I would suggest to back up for now and use the 4.5 until the license topic is settled. We are working on a upgrade plan.

P.S. Blue for your house?! How big is your house!

As far as backing up I did see the warnings but they also said there would be a license available on www.snomone.com. I can rollback but will wait to see what the license resolution is.

It would be good to know the conversion as soon as possible. We have a number of clients with a Blue license as well that purchased it since it was unlimited. I would hope you have a way to grandfather those customers. It is going to be hard to explain that they now have to pay for the features. Remember your marketing was one system all the features. It is pretty harsh to backtrack on that statement for customers who paid for the Blue or Yellow license. Maybe you let them have all the features except the new added features (ie: Lync integration/Fax to email).

We don't force anyone to upgrade. Actually I believe that many are quite happy with version 4 and don't see a reason to upgrade. We have introduced a lot of features inside version 4 without changing the pricing or charging for upgrades. It is quite normal to charge for major upgrades, I don't recall any software where you can get continuous upgrades over years free of charge.

If there are bugs in version 4, I would prefer to do minimal changes in the version instead of forcing people to upgrade. Never change a running system if you can.

I agree the tempo of the upgrade was too high. I wish we had half a year for this, but it was simply not an option.

I've a question:

For an upgrade from version 4 to version 5 there's a special upgrade promotion. For the eighty bundle price I've to pay 50% of $USD 2,995.00

I think you'll have roadmap.

As I now it from other software companies there'll be a version every year. Then I've to pay every year (hope then there will also be a promotion) 50% of $USD 2,995.00?

Every year?

Or do you have support and maintenance packages which included new versions (as is often common in software companies)?

Thanks for an information!

• 3 weeks later...

The upgrade from version 4 to 5 can be done automatically from the snomone.com web site using the activation code from version 4. For version 3, we have to do this manually. Please send us an email and we'll take care about it.

What costs are associated with moving from PBXnSip v4 50 Extensions to the new v5?