Can it support 260 Extensions

ebernazz

Considering a Windows based PBX serving 240 users and 20 "other" type devices coming in on 48 SIP trunks from Global Crossing. I have read that the ideal number is under 164. ANyone using it for this many extensions? thoughts?

Thanks!

We have typically been 50 and under extensions.

I understand one part of the problem is processing power. This system is B2BUA so all passes thru the server.

I would like to hear experience too.

Matt

Considering a Windows based PBX serving 240 users and 20 "other" type devices coming in on 48 SIP trunks from Global Crossing. I have read that the ideal number is under 164. ANyone using it for this many extensions? thoughts?

There are installations with 1500 extensions. However, the call volume is low and also not all extensions are registered all the time. Registrations are not a big load for the system. The important question is how many calls you expect to happen at the same time and if they are just regular basic calls or if for example calls should be recorded.

So the answer is yes, having 260 extensions registered in no problem. The "but" is that you must look at the call volume.

164 is nonsense.

Hello,

Thanks for that clarification.

But don't be too hard on him quoting that 164 number because snom is mentioning 150 (ok, 14 different. ;-) and unlimited. I see the a disty says it this way: "snomONE PBX -Unlimited extensions - Recommend up to 150 extions/server"

With that messaging people will need reassurance to go more. ;-)

But once again I do appreciate that clarification.

Matt

There are installations with 1500 extensions. However, the call volume is low and also not all extensions are registered all the time. Registrations are not a big load for the system. The important question is how many calls you expect to happen at the same time and if they are just regular basic calls or if for example calls should be recorded.

So the answer is yes, having 260 extensions registered in no problem. The "but" is that you must look at the call volume.

164 is nonsense.

Thanks. The 164 number came from an "consultant" pushing Avaya. The 150 number is on the snom website so that is where that came from.

We expect about 50 active calls as an average high activity (60 would be peak). We do no recording at all. We do however have 20 employees in an ACD call queue that gets about 400 calls a day (over a 9 hour period) and our current wait time is around 60 to 90 seconds.

Would that sound reasonable for pbxnsip?

Thanks

Would it be possible to have a sizing calculator for snom ONE?

how many registered endpoints

how many g711 calls (concurrent)

how many g729 (concurrent)

how many recording (concurrent)

etc, etc...

Output= You need 2 Xeon, with 8GB Ram.

Cold a meaningful calculator be made? Just a crazy thought late friday.

Would any of this apply:

http://kiwi.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Hardware_Requirements

Matt

Thanks. The 164 number came from an "consultant" pushing Avaya. The 150 number is on the snom website so that is where that came from.

We expect about 50 active calls as an average high activity (60 would be peak). We do no recording at all. We do however have 20 employees in an ACD call queue that gets about 400 calls a day (over a 9 hour period) and our current wait time is around 60 to 90 seconds.

Would that sound reasonable for pbxnsip?

Yea, that is doable. You need a good server for that, something with a fast CPU (dual core).

In the TDM world it was easy to come up with hard numbers when DSP with fixed channels were used. Nowadays with everything being software this is a difficult task, having a calculator like Matt proposes is really hard. I sometimes say "how many emails can you send with your email server per second" to make it clear that throwing hard numbers is not very serious.

Yea, that is doable. You need a good server for that, something with a fast CPU (dual core).

In the TDM world it was easy to come up with hard numbers when DSP with fixed channels were used. Nowadays with everything being software this is a difficult task, having a calculator like Matt proposes is really hard. I sometimes say "how many emails can you send with your email server per second" to make it clear that throwing hard numbers is not very serious.

Thanks.

What impact does voice mail have? When I said we don't record I was thinking recording conversations not VM. We do have VM.

Thanks

What impact does voice mail have? When I said we don't record I was thinking recording conversations not VM. We do have VM.

VM is not too bad. On the one hand it does compress the voice using GSM; on the other hand it has only one call leg so the problem should not be too big. And if really all users suddenly feel the desire to listen to their voicemail and the server really get too much load, the calls will be rejected and users will head something like "Service Unavailable" at this time.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Some more questions on this subject of over 150 users on snom ONE/pbxnsip:

If we get to the point that we need more than 1 pbx server because the CPU load is too high. how easy and what issues come up if we want to add 2nd pbx server box with a SIP tie line connecting the 2?

I'm looking for the issues that come up in real life--

Things I think about:

-directory becomes fragmented

-multi-cast provisioning

-setup all trunks/dialplan/etc twice

-loose BLF between systems?

-more?

Are there some real, show stopper gotchas?

David,

Hey, thanks for chiming in. I was thinking about calling you.

Some more questions:

#1-do you have any senarios where you have more than one server in one location because the load is too big for one server alone? (where it really is one company)

#2-on the multi-core issue--do you think once multi-cores work it will multiply the amount of calls able to be handled by the amount of cores? or won't it be that good?

• 2 months later...

I see my request wasn't entirely insame... ;-)

Microsoft Lync Server 2010 Capacity Calculator

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=6e8342a7-3238-4f37-9f95-7b056525dc1a&displaylang=en

Actually this document might be interesting for snom engineers to look at.

BTW-I'm a raving Lync fan. Thanks for snom OCS. ;-)

Matt

Well, Microsoft had a different customer focus in mind. If you want to support companies with more than 10000 employees, you need a different architecture. For (relatively) small insallations, it is reasonable to keep things simple and use the B2BUA model. Intel, AMD & Co will help to push the number of calls and extensions up.

Well, Microsoft had a different customer focus in mind. If you want to support companies with more than 10000 employees, you need a different architecture. For (relatively) small insallations, it is reasonable to keep things simple and use the B2BUA model. Intel, AMD & Co will help to push the number of calls and extensions up.

I tried a intel xeon x5680 3.33GHz and no reg phones i got the pbx to 200 legs with audio G711 (100 live calls) and the voice quality was GOOD

so i think with 250 ext you will never have more then 80-90 calls and the same time