Concurrent calls to external numbers

Doug

I have struggled with the following problem.

I want to have 4 numbers called concurrently from an AA.

I assume I need to use a hunt group but any method that works is good for me. External numbers just will not ring when I use a hunt group.

I want my internal extension, a cell phone, a PSTN number, and an external SIP phone called concurrently.

How can I do this?

Doug

Hunt groups don't call external numbers on the hunt stages, and they also don't follow extension redirects.

Having external numbers in a hunt group is asking for trouble. In FXO, many gateways will connect the call immediately (playing ringback tone or just comfort noise). And cell phones tend to get offline (driving in a tunnel or user goes to bed), then the mailbox picks up and connects the call immediately. And calling a busy PSTN line in many cases goes to some kind of IVR (mailbox, busy annoucement) and also connect the call immediately.

When the PBX calls a SIP extension, it can avoid all of that and have the hunt group doing something predictable and supportable.

I guess I don't understand the issue that presents "trouble".

Why is this any different than making any external call?

When you make a call to an external number all/many systems that I have seen offer an option to confirm connection. So if a call goes to a Cell phone, if the cell phone's voice mail answers, the calling system(Televantage/Asterisk) requires a DTMF to confirm connection. Without this option it doesn't make sense to me to allow any external calls.

This should also have nothing to do with multiple concurrent calls.

How is this handled by PBX when I am redirecting a call to an outside number?

I am sorry I do not understand your system, this is why I am going through a trial.

I try features and if I can't find a solution I present the business requirement and hope there is a solution.

I believe the business requirement to have multiple calls made concurrently to inside or outside phones is something that is basic.

Doug

• 4 weeks later...

I think the issues is what happens if you forward the call to an external number and a voice mail system picks up. That would not be to good for a business and it is hard to figure that out easily. What I do instead of using a hunt group is I call my extension and I have a phone in the office and home office registered so they both ring by default and I also have the system setup to ring my cell phone after 5 seconds so that should accomplish what you want. I do get my work vmails on my cell phone when I don't pick up so keep that in mind but the ringing works.

• 4 weeks later...

So if I understand this correctly:

I have a Hunt Group - Setup to ring 2 phones concurrently (SIP PHONES) - Which so happen to be CFA'd to external numbers.

The call comes in and then is disconnected immediately.

I take it this is the expected response?

Is there any way (through HG, AA, or Extension Redirects) - to get a single call to call 2 external numbers concurrently?

Thanks

At the moment, you can have two calls on PSTN ring only through static registrations where the PBX believes this is a call to a SIP phone.

The problem with PSTN is that stuff like trunk failover also must work. Early media can also not be supported.

Forking calls to cell phones will mean that if a cell phone looses its registration, the cell phone mailbox will connect the call. This makes the PSTN fork limited use to me anyway.

• 11 months later...
one of Fonality's selling point is agents with cell phones. obviously you need to press 1 to accept the call.. but it is a cool feature.

I think at the current version, where confirmation capability was added to the cell phone redirection options it would be quite easy to allow hunt groups and agent groups to fork to follow cell phone forwarding. There should be a check box either on the extension or the group, asking if it should follow redirection rules.

We all fork to cell phones anyway using static registrations, why is that method any better?

I think at the current version, where confirmation capability was added to the cell phone redirection options it would be quite easy to allow hunt groups and agent groups to fork to follow cell phone forwarding. There should be a check box either on the extension or the group, asking if it should follow redirection rules.

We all fork to cell phones anyway using static registrations, why is that method any better?

Yeah I think it could be possible even our old ISDN pbx could do it... so why a modern VoIP system can't?